Monday, April 2, 2007

The Benefits Of Quitting Smoking That You Don't Hear About As Often

Discussions about the short and long term effects of smoking cigarettes on the human body and of what changes to expect upon quitting smoking seem to naturally go hand in hand. So sure, after thirty days of quitting I've noticed that I have more energy and more endurance. I know that my blood circulation is getting better, because I don't wake up with numbness in my extremities anymore when I sleep in some strange position.

I expected these things, and am glad to experience them. It's really so much more than all that, though. I'm discovering that, for me, the things that make this quit worth fighting for aren't turning out to be the things the doctors and people in lab coats have been telling us about.

Since I quit smoking, I have more time in the morning. You know, that rush around time where breakfasts and lunches need to be made, and outfits need to get picked out. It sure helps not to be trying to squeeze those things in between cigarette breaks. I actually find that it usually isn't even rushing around anymore, now that I have an extra half hour every morning.

Also since I quit smoking, my time with the kids is no longer interrupted every twenty minutes. We can get into a long match of video games, play a board game or just hang around and talk about whatever and I never have to stop. We can do it all day if we're so inclined, and I never have to break up the party in favor of a cigarette. Party... favor... nevermind. I clearly didn't bring my A-game today.

We were outside much of the day on Saturday, I was planning on doing some yard work. I ended up adjusting the kids' bikes instead (wow, they got bigger over the winter-- again!), and mister eight year old finally started practicing without the training wheels. After everybody was tired of pedaling, we kicked the soccer ball around for awhile (they're both signed up to play this season) and just kind of hung around outside, enjoying the nice weather that's finally starting to grace us with its presence.

So what are the benefits of quitting smoking? There's all the medical and health stuff, yes, but the best benefit is time. Not necessarily the time added onto my lifespan, I don't know if dragging this out for 120 years is really all it's cracked up to be, but the now. Now is what it's really all about, and the only guarantee. Might as well make it count.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 30 days of being smoke-free! That's a major accomplishment. Fabulous, brilliant, and all that good stuff. :)

There are many, many joys of quitting, aside from the health-related, that you'll be discovering as you move along on this quit. The extra time is just one of them. Enjoy each discovery.

(I kind of liked the party... favor... bit, but I'm a sucker for any play on words.)

April 2, 2007 at 3:08:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,
You made it though a whole month, and we are so proud of you..Love this post, because you are a young guy, and knowing WHAT is the most important in your life, I won't say it is rare, but alot of young fellows don't "get it"..Your family is what it is all about..And you have given them a great gift of a healthier you, and all that extra time you might have spent smoking those nasty ciggies..
Great Job, Well Done,
Sheila

April 5, 2007 at 8:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

https://angkakeluarchina.info/argumen-tank-leopard-2-jadi-opsi-ukraina-temui-rusia-dibanding-abrams-as/

February 3, 2023 at 10:40:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

via RSS
via E-Mail
54 Things To Do Instead Of Smoking
Still Alive After Quitting Smoking 14 Days Ago
Quitzits!